Monday, 1 November 2010

....And you thought they were old fashioned

I am a strong believer that there are no ugly flowers, that every flower is beautiful if it is styled in the right way.

I feel I have demonstrated this with the Baby's Breath Bouquets (see Amber and Hamish's Wedding below) which are so glorious in all their dainty beauty.

My next project had to be the carnation which has gone under-appreciated for a long time due to its unflattering use in tacky bouquet combination's.

Carnations are actually really beautiful when you take time to appreciate them, so ruffly and lacy looking (honest!). I think they could be the winter alternative to the Peony if people started treating them with some much needed respect.

Determined as I am to bring the carnation back into fashion I created some designs using delicate baby pink carnations.

I explained to Averil  that I had done this, and she was understandably underwhelmed and doubtful, having also seen the worst of carnations in her career with flowers, as we all have. BUT then I showed her the pictures I snapped of these beauties and I think I gained my first convert as she exclaimed "Wow really, are those carnations?"

So you heard it here folks, carnations are chic!

To prove my point I present to you Exhibit A: Cluster of Baby Pink Carnations, bound in ivory Satin and detailed with vintage crystal brooch.


What do you think? Are you a carnation convert too?






These are the buttonholes detailed with swarovski crystals, I think they are so amazingly beautiful with all their soft ruffly petals, like tissue paper flowers when you snip the edges jaggedly and get the beautiful lacy effect.

3 comments:

  1. Yes yes, I am converted. The edges are so perfect, they look like they have been cut out with those serrated craft scissors! Love the brooch touch too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always adored carnations so there was no need to convert but yes, these do look amazing. The arrangement looks very pretty and I love the styling of the edges of each petal. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I got to say, that I was never a fan of carnations and was certainly of the opinion that they were old fashioned, this has certainly changed my opinion. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete